The Leaves, flowers, fruits and roots of adathoda are used in the preparation of the drugs in siddha medicine to cure various diseases such as coughs, colds, asthma, skin infections, fever, bleeding piles and inflammation.
Tamil Name: Vaasai
Botanical Name: Justicia Adathoda
Properties of Adathoda
- Property- Light
Actions of Adathoda
Vasicine an active component present in the adathoda is effective for inflammation caused by bacteria and reduces fever.
The chemical compounds (Alkaloids) present in the adathoda leaf are used for treating the patient suffering from E-Coli, Typhoid and Pneumonia.
The antibacterial action in the adathoda helps to treat patients suffering from inflammation and fever and the bitter taste of the adathoda leaf avoids insects.
ADATHODA – Medicinal Plant Leaf or Root Kasayam/Tea Preparation
Preparation of Adathoda leaf or root Kasayam/Tea is simple. Soaking few leaves of Adathoda /the roots of Adathoda in the water and boil the water well to extract the medicinal properties of the Adathoda.
Medicinal uses of Adathoda
- Consuming Adathoda Kasayam/Tea with honey reduces cough, cold, blood pressure, fever and tuberculosis.
- Adding a Cardamom when preparing the tea and drinking twice a day can cure cough, fever and blood pressure.
- Adathoda Tea/Kasayam is a good expectorant when it is prepared with Adhimadhuram (Liquorice), Thippili (Piper Longum), and Thalisa Pathiri (Abies Spectabilis). It is also good for patients suffering from Asthma and Chronic Bronchitis.
- Suffering from swelling or arthritic pain? Applying the leaves paste on the affected area gives relief.
- Drinking adathoda kasayam/tea controls dysentery.
- Consuming Melugu Patham thrice a day can cure all Kabha related diseases. (Melugu Patham – A paste prepared by heating the juice of the leaves with Thippili (Piper Longum) powder.
- Adding Kandankathiri (Solanum Surattense) root when preparing the adathoda root kasayam and drinking it with honey controls cough.
- Adathoda root tea cures urinary retention
- Adathoda root, kandankathiri (Solanum Surattense) root, Sukku (Zingiber Officinale), Kollu (Macrotyloma Uniflorum) with water and heat the ingredients well to make it as a Kasayam, Drinking the Kasayam with some Allikilangu powder controls bronchial asthma.
- Soak Adathoda root, grape (Vitis Vinifera) and Kadukai (Terminalia Chebula) in water and prepare kasayam/tea. Take this kasayam with honey/sugar can controls blood pressure and asthma.
- Heating the flower of adathoda and applying over the eyes yields better results to eye related problems.
Take few leaves from the plant and allow them to dry and form it as a cigarette. Smoking this medicated cigarette gives good result for patients suffering from bronchitis and asthma. Not suggested for children’s, Only for Adults
Important Formulations in Siddha Medicine
- Adathodai Kudineer
- Adathodai Manapagu
- Kakkuvan ilagam
- Adathodai Ney
- Kaphasura Kudineer