The loss of hair from the head or body is called as hair loss. It is technically known as alopecia. Absence of hair in the scalp or any part of the body is known as baldness. The baldness is most common in men than women.
Causes of Hair loss
According to ‘Siddha Medicine’ the aggravation of Pitha leads to hair fall and premature graying. The increased intake of
- Fried foods,
- Spicy foods,
- Oily foods,
- Smoking and
The factors like
- Excessive anger,
lead to hair loss.
Hormonal imbalance like puberty, pregnancy and menopause can cause hair fall in women. Male hormonal imbalance can also cause hair fall and grey hair.
- Heart problem
- High cholesterol
- High fever
- Thyroid problem
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Some other causes that influence hair fall
- Sudden weight loss
- Working in late hours / Night shift
- Excessive shampoo
- Scalp infections
- Skin disorders
- Inadequate nutrition diet
Home Remedies for Hair Growth in Siddha Medicine
Home remedies for Hair Loss and Premature Grey Hair
- Take few hibiscus leaves, grind the leaves and make it as paste. Apply the paste on the scalp and massage it well. Leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with cold water or mild shampoo. It prevents hair loss and helps to reduce premature grey hair.
- Take warm sesame oil, and gently massage it into your scalp. Leave this for overnight. The sesame oil nourishes the scalp, controls hair dryness and promotes hair growth.
- Heat coconut oil with amla powder. Apply this oil all over the scalp till the roots of the hair and massage it well. It reduces hair fall and strengthen the hair roots. Amla is rich in Vitamin C and acts as a natural hair tonic which also controls premature grey hair.
- Take the white of one egg and mix in a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply this paste all over your hair. Rinse it off with cool water after 30 minutes.
- It hydrates your hair and prevents hair dryness
- Makes the hair root stronger and
- Thickens your hair.
- Apply aloevera gel into the scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes. Wash with cold water. It reduces hair fall from infected area and dry scalp.
- Take few amounts of the leaves of the eclipta (karisalai), hibiscus, neem, fenugreek seeds, and amla powder and form it as a paste, mix the paste with coconut oil and heat this mixture well. Apply this oil on scalp every day for better hair growth.
- Use warm oil to massage your scalp. It reduces your body heat, and keeps your scalp and body cool. It increases the blood circulation in your scalp and promotes the hair growth.
- Boil some curry leaves with coconut oil and apply it on scalp. Massage it well for 15-20 minutes to reduce hair fall.
Home Remedies for Dandruff and Lice
- Massaging scalp with warm olive oil helps to control the male pattern baldness and dandruff. It helps the hair to become silk and shiny.
- Take neem leaves as paste, apply it on scalp, and leave it for 30-40 minutes. Do this for twice a week to completely cure dandruff, and promotes hair growth. It is also controls lice.
- Soak a little amount of fenugreek seeds in water and leave it overnight, grind the seeds and form it as a paste. Applying the paste on hair and massaging and washing it in a cold water reduces the dandruff and helps hair growth.
- Grind neem leaves and Vasambu (Acorus) to form paste. Apply the paste on scalp and leave it for an hour and wash it with lukewarm water to control lice.
Home Remedies for Baldness
- Rubbing of onion or garlic into the scalp, helps to improves re-growth in bald area. It also gives natural hair color.
- Cut the Henna leaves and mix it with salt and vinegar and form it as a paste. Applying the paste on the bald area and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash the area with cold water.
- Add some camphor in the coconut oil and heat this mixture well and store it in a container. Applying this oil daily in the bald area improves hair growth.
- Add proper vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, C & iron, zinc in your diet. It promotes your hair growth.
- Hair fall due to excessive stress can be avoided by doing meditation, yoga and simple exercise.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- A special care is always required for hair to keep it clean. Always use green gram powder / herbal /mild shampoos and rinse thoroughly.
- Avoid sharing towels and combs with others.