To become a siddha medical practitioner, a formal education is mandatory. There are many siddha medical colleges which offer undergraduate degree viz. Bachelor of siddha medicine and surgery (B.S.M.S), a 5 ½ years course including a 1 year internship period. After completion of this course, one can opt for a postgraduate degree in siddha medicine, i.e. M.D. (Siddha), a 3 years course.
To secure admission into B.S.M.S. course, minimum eligibility is higher secondary course (10 +2) with the subjects in physics, chemistry, biology or botany and zoology. Generally, admission/selection for this course is made based on a common entrance examination.
The below are the list of government and private medical colleges which offer undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses in siddha medicine.
List of MEdical Colleges offers undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses in Siddha Medicine
- Government Siddha Medical College, Arumbakkam, Chennai-6000106 (BSMS & MD Siddha)
- Government Siddha Medical College, Palayamkottai-627002, Tamilnadu (BSMS & MD Siddha)
- National Institute of Siddha, Tambaram Sanitorium, Chennai-600047 (MD Siddha)
- Sri Sai Ram Siddha Medical College& Research centre, Poonthandalum village, Sriperumbudur(TK) (BSMS)
- R.V.S. Siddha Medical College &and Hospital, Kumaran kottam, Kannampalayam, Coimbatore-641042, Tamil Nadu (BSMS)
- A.T.S.V.S. Siddha Medical College, Munchirai, Pudukkadai-Post, Kanyakumari-District, Tamilnadu. PIN:629171 (BSMS)
- Velu Mailu Siddha Medical College, No.48, Grand West Trunk road, Sriperumbudur-602105, Kancheepuram-District, Tamilnadu (BSMS)
- Sivaraj siddha medical college, Siddhar kovil road, Thumbathulipatty, Salem-636307, Tamilnadu (BSMS)
Siddha medical system is unique in many ways, which can cure many dreadful diseases. It has to be popularized among the common public for best possible utilization. To relieve the humanity from the painful illness, more and more Siddha doctors are required to achieve the goal. More and more siddha medical colleges /universities, research institutions are inevitable for the day. Therefore it is suggested that more educational and research institutions to be opened in major cities of India or at least in the Metro cities of India to impart Siddha medicine, which will contribute to a disease free society to a large extent.[sociallocker id="369"] [/sociallocker]