Obesity or Over Weight – Abnormal increase in amount of fat cells in intestines and internal part of body due to extreme intake of fat as compared to burning of calories. Obesity is very common in middle aged due to improper diet and sleeping habits.
How Obesity is determined?
Overweight or Obesity is determined by BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI is a very good measure of their amount of body fat. BMI value 25 – 29.9 is recognized as overweight and one who has a BMI value of 30 or more is considered as obese. Are you over weighted ? Calculate your BMI.
Why one should avoid over weight?
An overweighed man adds extra pressure to the heart, liver, kidneys and various joints. This hence leads to diseases like high blood pressure, gout, Diabetes, Arthritis, Cancer (Prostate / Breast / Uterine), Heart and liver diseases, gall bladder problems, etc.
What is the main causes for Obese?
- Improper eating and sleeping habits
- Very less or no physical activity
- Genetic factors
- Too much consumption of alcohol, specially beer
- Certain medication’s side effects
- Psychological disorders
- Endocrinal Problems
- Polycystic ovarian disease
Complications of obesity
- Diabetes mellitus
- Thyroid problems
- Coronary Heart diseases
- Pulmonary disorders
- Fatty liver
- Gallbladder diseases
- Menstrual problems
- Poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Cancer (Uterus, Breast, Cervix, Prostate)
- Spinal damage
- Phlebitis (venous stasis)
- Sleep apnea
How to lose weight?
A lifestyle change is recommended to lose weight. Below are some of the lifestyle change tips to reduce weight effectively.
- Reduce calorie intake
- Exercise regularly to burn calories
- Jogging, Cycling and Swimming are effective
- Fasting is advised once in a week
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Add more fiber in food
- Say no to alcohol
- Avoid sweets
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid rich carbohydrate diets like rice and maida
- Stay away from junk foods and oily foods
- Avoid using too much of salt in food
- Avoid day time sleep and also overnight work
- Drink 3 Litres of water every day
Effective Home and Natural Remedies for Overweight
- Mix a spoonful of honey with lemon juice in a cup of lukewarm water. Consuming the water, effectively reduces the cellulite in the body. For better result it is advised to take on empty stomach in the morning.
- Drinking a cup of Arugampul (cynodon dactylon) juice in morning or a cup of triphala powder mixed in hot water balances the doshas and detoxifies the body.
- Take 2 spoonful of lemon juice with 1/2 spoon of honey and ½ of black pepper powder, in empty stomach for better result.
- Adding raw or cooked cabbage in food helps to reduce the weight. Cabbage prevents the conversion of fat from sugar and other carbohydrates.
- Yogasanas are highly useful in slimming and strengthening the flabby structure. Doing asanas break-up the fatty deposits and re distributes it across the body.
- Mix cinnamon powder (Lavangam) with honey in empty stomach and take this before going to sleep for good result.
- To reduce belly fat include கரிசலாங்கண்ணி (Bhringraj / False daisy) in the diet regularly for four weeks.
- Add வாழைத்தண்டு (Plantain pith / stem) in food at least twice a week.
- Soaking the roots of ஆமணக்கு (Castor) mixed with Honey overnight and drinking the filtered water in empty stomach gives better result.
- கொள்ளு (horse gram) is very good remedy for reducing unnecessary fat.
- Add Apple, Orange, Cucumber, Watermelon, Amla, Lemon, Guava, Tomato, Drum stick, Mint, Coriander Leaf, Butter milk, Wheat, Ragi (Finger Millet), Oats, Walnut, and Almond in your diet.
Siddha Medicine for Weight Loss
Among Tri-Doshas Kapha is the most common dosha which develops obesity. In Siddha medicine a doctor may suggest medicines to neutralize the toxicity effects upon various diagnosis and recommended some lifestyle changes. The below are the few herbal medicines prescribed by siddha doctors Please avoid self-medication.
- Nirmulli (Hygrophila Auriculata)
- Nerunjil (Tribulus Terrestris)
- Silasathu Parpam
- Seendil (Tinospora Cardifolia)
Yogasanas to Reduce Weight
Asanas help reducing the belly fat fast. The below are the few Asanas you can try to burn the fat.