Asthma is a chronic lung disease, characterized by the inflammation and obstruction of the airways. In siddha medicine asthma is known as IRAIPPU and it is characterized by chest tightness, difficulty in breathing and wheezing (breathing sounds resemble the sound of musical instruments Kuzhal, Yaazh and Veenai). Asthma is common in all age of people. Learn the symptoms and what triggers asthma and how to naturally control asthma using the Top 10 best herbal remedies for Asthma.
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Increased respiratory rate
- Increased pulse rate
Common Asthma Causes and triggers
The below are the triggers that causes the inflammation and obstruction of the airways
- Exposure to allergens
- Respiratory infections
- Environmental pollutions
- Exposure to cold
- Chemical Fumes
- Bugs in home
- Hereditary factors
Best Herbal Remedies for Asthma in Siddha Medicine
- Mix few Piper Longum (அரிசித் திப்பிலி) with the pulp of wood-apple (விளாம் பழம்) and boil it in the water. Consuming the water reduces the difficulty in breathing.
- Take a cup of fenugreek decoction with a spoonful of honey and fresh ginger juice. This formulation acts as an excellent expectorant and detoxifies the lungs.
- Ginger Tea: Take an inch of ginger and piece it and soak it in the water and boiled it well. Consuming this preparation in the morning and evening reduces the inflammation.
- Garlic Tea: Take 10 cloves of garlic add with one glass of water. Boil it well. Take this once a day. It will clear the congestion of the lungs.
- Lemon Juice: The Vitamin C and the Antioxidants present in the Lemon controls Asthma
- Turmeric: The antibiotic and the anti-inflammatory property in the turmeric give good result when it is added with a cup of milk.
- Crush some leaves of puthina (Mentha arvensis) and thulasi (Ocimum sanctum). Add some water and boil it well. Take this one or two times a day to controls the respiratory tract inflammation and helps to breathe easy.
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum): Tulsi is a very good expectorant. Crush some Tulsi leaves and consume the juice with honey.
- Thoodhuvalai (Solanum Trilobatum): Thoodhuvalai is a very good medicine for asthma. Eating Thoodhuvalai powder with honey controls asthma effectively.
- Coffee: Drinking a cup of coffee reduces the congestion. The bronchodilator action of caffeine helps to open the airways.
- Vetrilai (Betel) Juice: Take vetrilai juice with pepper before bed helps controlling the wheezing in the asthmatic patients.
- Apply Karpurathi Thylam (Add some camphor in mustard oil) in chest and upper back restores normal breathing
- Take few Sukku (dry ginger) and make it as a paste. Apply this on frontal area of the face controls the facial pain and rhinitis.
Hot Water Steam
- Nochi leaf (Vitex Nedundo) or Adathoda Leaf or eucalyptus oil Steam is effective
- Takes some adathoda leafs and allows them to dry. Make this leaf as a cigarette shape. Smoking this medicated cigarette gives good result to bronchitis and asthmatic patients. (Only for Adults)
- Avoid smoke
- Add Fig, Honey, Pepper, Garlic, Onion and Egg in your diet
- Avoid coolant foods, fruits, ice creams etc…
- Do Pranayamam in the morning regularly which is a very good breathing exercise. Pranayamam controls the stress, anxiety and regulates the breath.
- Wear a scarf, to avoid pollutions.
- Stay away from pets which have fur or feathers.